If you are in the US, and have lost your passport, then the first thing you need to do is to apply for a passport replacement. You can do it through mail or online. However, you need to make an appointment with the passport agencies first, which you can do by calling 1-877-487-2778 or (TTY 1-888-874-7793).

Losing a passport can be a stressful situation if you are travelling abroad. However, at what point you have lost it, also matters. Therefore, if you have lost your passport and are still wondering what can happen next, then the answer is simple.

It may require you to visit the nearest embassy and obtain an Emergency Travel Document(ETD). Apart from that, the airline may not accept you onboard. So, situations are endless, and airlines deal with them according to their terms and conditions. Therefore, if you are in the same situation, then the information below is really going to help you.

What Should I Do If I Lost My Passport at The Airport?

The first thing you should do when you lose your passport is to stay calm. Further, you can think about what action you can take to come out of the situation. Therefore, you can do the following:

Report the Loss to U.S. Authorities

Once you are aware of the fact that your passport is lost, inform the local U.S. officials immediately. Therefore, visit the nearest police station and report the loss of passport. It helps the officials to prevent any crime like identity theft through your passport. Informing the official is necessary if you want to get a replacement for your current passport.

Note: You can also request help from the Office of Overseas Citizens Services State Department. 

Place Request for Replacement

Whether you are already overseas or have plans to travel abroad, it requires you to replace your passport. Therefore, in all situations, you need to present yourself before the authority, or passport facility. Further, you need to submit a DS-11 form in person to replace a lost passport.

The below table will explain it better.


What you can do

When you are in U.S and planning to travel within 5 to 7 weeks.

You are qualified for an appointment to request in person to the passport agency.

Then, you can replace your document.

You can visit the passport agency in the following situation:

  • When you have a international travel plan in 14 days or
  • When you need a foreign visa in the upcoming 28 days.

When you are in U.S and planning to travel in more than 5 to 7 weeks

You should take an appointment to request a passport replacement at the passport acceptance facility.

When you are Out of U.S

In this case, you can connect with a person at the nearest U.S embassy or consulate.

Further, you can request them to replace your passport.

Pay for the New Passport

You may need to pay for the replacement passport. Therefore, be ready to pay a fee for it. The fee can differ with your situation. However, you can skip the fee if your passport is linked with the Global Entry System.

Check If You Have Premium Cards Protection

It can be a help for you if you have the following premium card:

  • American Express The Platinum Card.
  • American Express The Business Platinum Card.

These cards provide you with concierge services. It may not help you with the passport replacement. However, it can provide support in arranging a different flight and hotel stay.

So, the sooner you report your passport loss, the sooner you will get a replacement.

How Quickly Can I Replace a Lost Passport?

Usually, it takes around 6 to 8 weeks to get a new passport when you apply for passport replacement. However, you can reduce this time to 2 to 3 weeks if you use the expedited service. 

You can take an appointment from the passport agency when you have an urgent travel in 14 days, or you need to go on a foreign trip in the upcoming 28 days. 

To stay updated on your passport status via email, you can enroll in the online Passport Status System.

How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Lost Passport?

If you have lost your passport, then you may need to pay an application fee of $165 while submitting the DS-11 form.

Along with the fee, you may also need to submit the following documents:

  • Old passport and its photocopy,
  • Certificate of Naturalization and its photocopy and
  • Copy of lost passport, if possible

Can I Contact Someone If I Lost My Passport?

Yes. You can contact the passport agency or centre. It further includes two situations.

When you have taken an appointment: You can take the online appointment in two cases: Life or Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Once you take the appointment, you can contact the passport agency on the following numbers.

  • For assistance in the Spanish language: call 1-877-487-2778.
  • However, if you require a hearing aid, then contact at 1-888-874-7793. It is the best way when you need a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf, Teletypewriters or Text Telephones etc.

When you have not taken the appointment: In that case, first, you need to take the appointment online.

What is The Fastest Way to Replace a Lost Passport?

The fastest way to get your passport replacement is to use expedited service. To apply for passport replacement through this service, you need to fill in a DS-11 application form. While filling the form, do not forget to mark a tick on the box before ‘expedited service’.

Can I Still Fly if I Lost My Passport?

No. You can not fly abroad if you lose your passport somewhere. Further, a foreign country may stop you from entering their airspace. Therefore, apply for a new passport by filing the DS-11 form if you want to fly overseas.

Can I Fly with a Photocopy of My Passport?

No. You can not fly with a photocopy of your passport. It is not a valid form of ID for international travel. This is because, U.S department of state requires you to carry an original and valid ID proof to travel abroad.


So, there is no need to panic if you have lost your passport. Rather, you can think about what is possible to save yourself from any further loss. Therefore, the above information will help you understand all the options you have in case of a lost passport. For more clarity, you can contact the passport agency.


Traveltipspot is a third-party OTA website providing customer service assistance for flight bookings. However, it does not have any direct association with any airline. We are like an unofficial medium to fill the gap between you and the airline policies. Our logos, brand images, or name of the companies only signify the entity they represent, and we are totally using that for informative presence. Hence, Traveltipspot will not be liable for any temporary unavailability or error due to a technical issue. Check our website terms and conditions for usage and other service benefits.